The Delta Kappa Gamma Society International was founded May 11, 1929, at the Faculty Women’s Club at the University of Texas, Austin, Texas. Alpha Chapter of Alpha State Organization placed a plaque where the Women's Club once stood on campus. Dr. Annie Webb Blanton, member of the faculty of the University of Texas and a former state superintendent of public instruction in Texas, conceived the idea of an organization for women educators. Eleven women educators from Texas, representing various professional positions in education, were initiated by Dr. Blanton. Alpha Chapter was installed on June 3, 1929.
These 12 Founders were Dr. Annie Webb Blanton, Austin, Texas; Miss Mamie Sue Bastian, Houston, Texas; Miss Ruby Cole, San Antonio, Texas; Miss Mabel Grizzard, Waxahachie, Texas; Dr. Anna Hiss, Austin, Texas; Miss Ray King, Fort Worth, Texas; Miss Sue King, Fort Worth, Texas; Dr. Helen Koch, Austin, Texas; Mrs. Ruby Terrill Lomax, Austin, Texas; Dr. Cora M. Martin, Austin, Texas; Mrs. Lalla M. Odom, Austin, Texas; and Miss Lela Lee Williams, Dallas, Texas. (All are deceased.)
The Founders believed that there was need for an organization in which women educators—rural and urban teachers; preschool, elementary, high school, college, and university teachers; librarians; school administrators; supervisors—might be united for efforts toward better professional preparation, recognition of women’s work in the teaching profession, and scholarships for those needing aid in improving their professional preparation.